Friday, February 28, 2014

Low sodium cheddar cauliflower soup

Planning to try this - with a few tweaks (ex: original recipe uses 2c water, I am using 2 cups of my home-made broth - no sodium added from lamb ribs - fat removed).

2 Tbsp olive oil
2 large leeks
1 med head cauliflower
2 cups broth
2.5 cups milk
1 bay leaf
1/2 t pepper
3 tbsp flour
1.5 cups Heluva Good Reduced Sodium Cheddar cheese
1 tbsp lemon juice

if all works well - this should make 8, 1 cup servings at 45 mg sodium each.  The directions provided look a bit strange, so I plan to go about it in this manner

cook cauliflower in the broth with bay leaf and pepper.  Toss bay leaf, strain, set cauliflower aside for a bit

cook leeks in the olive oil - once soft, add flour - then milk and broth slowly, making a nice thick sauce like I do with pot pie, then the cauliflower to what I hope is a nice thickened mix.

remove from heat - add cheddar and lemon juice.

Not 100% sure what to expect, but I don't like the original recipe idea of adding milk to heated oil.  I have too many issues with curdling.  Hoping to follow a standard 'white sauce' type of cooking works.

update - I didn't try this, but the Heluva Good reduced sodium cheese did wonderfully when I made cheesy potatoes the other day.  Started with the mirepoix (salt free butter, garlic, onion, celery, carrot), created a whitesauce and added some Mrs. Dash and 8 ounces of this cheese shredded.  While much different in taste from the standard ones made with velveta or extra sharp cheddar and mushroom soup, it was really tasty and the kids have requested it again.   It does amaze me that this is a tasty cheese - without the salt.  I imagine that if I put it on the table with other cheeses, people would ask for the type as it does taste good on its own.  It is delicious on sandwiches as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment